Saturday, September 12, 2009

Kernel 2.6.31 x86_64 on EXP4


Best kernel compile EVAH.

It worked on the first compile and booted up clean for the first time this morning just before 5AM.

In my experience that's damned near unheard of. In fact I did the build over ssh while the system was headless - no keyboard, no mouse, and no video - which is just asking for trouble.

I had to rebuild the nVidia driver to get X up and running so I could get back on the system with VNC. That ran incredibly smoothly with the latest x86_64 release (thanks, nVidia! And, yes, I still hate ATI!). Then ipatbles and ipset had to be brought up to the latest versions. I got everything just right and played a test round on BITCH House.

Smooth as silk. Slicker'n snot on a doorknob.

So I rerouted EXP4 back to the AMD64 box, rebooted yet again, and was back in business before 6:30AM.

I'll be playing today to see how it runs. See you around.

No comments:

Post a Comment