Sunday, August 27, 2023

Shitty globals 2023

 Eleven years ago I published Shitty Globals.  Funny how time flies.

This was about the network discovery tool aptly named "netdiscover", which was delivered broken in BackTrack 5.  I have been using it ever since.  I keep the code around to put it on new boxes.  I have two new Jammy Jellyfish systems I got last week and that old code finally broke.  I can no longer compile it.  I have no clue what the issue is and I spent too much time on trying to fix it.

It had to be re-compiled often because the OUI database of MAC addresses goes out of date all the time.  The database is stored in the oui.h source file.  The stock package from Ubuntu has no way to update the MAC database.  You need the code.  I found the version 0.10 code at Launchpad.  Praise Bob.

Here we are 23 years into in the 21st century and this thing still doesn't support CIDR.  And you still have to re-compile it to update the OUI database.  There were ~2600 more OUIs than when the code was published (shitty globals and all).  And I still have 4 "Unknown Vendor" MACs on my network.  I'm not complaining.  Just sayin'.


No comments:

Post a Comment