"Vomit/urine in the halls, beer, drug addicts knock on your door trying to sell magazine subscriptions *(how they actually got into the building is the scary part), bass 24/7, pot smoke, fire alarms, fireworks, screeching tires *(at 3 am), graffiti, burglary, rape, etc."
It seemed like a good idea at the time to have a security camera (as it turns out it seems rival landlords like to troll these sites and cut the competiton down).
He lived there without incident for about 18 months, graduated, found Jesus (long, long story) and divested himself of nearly all his worldly possessions. Consequently, I got the camera back. Thank you, Jesus!
Fisrt thing I did was go to http://www.dlink.com/ to download the latest firmware, drivers, software, etc.
Everything went to Hell after the firmware upgrade (v2.51). The new firmware will allow you to set up the camera's 802.11b SSID, WEP key, etc. with non-standard characters (which I immediately did, since 802.11b is incredibly insecure). The old software for monitoring the camera couldn't handle that. I had to use "IPView SE v1.01", which has this incredibly ugly GameBoy-style interface (see below).
I can't impress upon you how much this interface absolutely appalls me. The old software (extremely hard to find, but available here) allowed you to fill the screen with the camera image. IPView SE's "full screen mode" still has the disgusting silver GameBoy border. It's bad enough that you actually have to look at it, but it also has the added benefit of burning itself into your screen if you monitor for extended periods of time. Luckily, my LCD monitor recovered after a few days.
In the end I settled for insecure 802.11b just to lose this monstrosity. To compensate I put the camera on a 30 bit subnet routed through a USB wireless NIC in ad hoc "point to point" mode and tightened up the firewall rules.
Dlink also offers "DView 1.40" software for controlling the camera, but it's ugly in a whole different way. It looks like it was written by a 10 year old.