Monday, January 19, 2009

Map Mod


If you click here, you will see the latest incarnation of the World Domination map. If not, well I guess I can't force you. There are a few, very minor modifications:

  • I added my logo at the bottom of the map.
  • The map is a teensy bit (40 pixels) wider.
  • Everything is scooched ever-so-slightly to the East.
  • Some under-the-hood caching issues with Internet Explorer are fixed.
Nothing (heh) Earth-shattering, to say the least.

The wider map and the eastward shift puts New Zealand over on the left edge. Our Kiwi pals were getting cut off on the old map and folks in Hawaii were crowding out the zoom control. That's all fixed.

The big downside with that is you losers with 1024x768 displays are kinda fucked, since the map is now 16 pixels wider than your screen.

I've never witnessed the IE problem before (IE supposedly hammers the server mercilessly when it downloads the markers), but I ran across a fix accidentally so I figured what the Hell, why not? After I went to all that trouble it seems like there may be some Firefox issues with that, but I'm in wait-and-see mode for the time being.

And of course, as for the logo, the more pix there are of Hinky Dink on the Web, the better. That particular piece is not working exactly the way I hoped it would. My smiling face stays in the same place when you move the map around, but it blinks in and out when the markers are refreshed. It shouldn't do that (at least, NIMHO).

One thing I played around with that didn't work was a timestamp for the most recent data refresh. Part of the reason for that is for the next timelapse video and the other part is so you can tell when there's no one playing. My approach was all wrong in the first place, so I'm exploring alternatives.

This is a work in progress so if you visit the link and it's not working, then it's probably because I broke it.

No comments:

Post a Comment