Friday, December 12, 2008

Yet Another Blog


Seriously, I have way too much free time.

Last Sunday, I woke up, got a cup of coffee and checked my Gmail. Of course, most of my Gmail consists of Google Alerts. For about two years I've had an alert on "suicide", due to a tinfoil hat theory of mine concerning SSRIs. That morning, there were a ton of "suicide" alerts, among them an unusual number of murder-suicides.

This story caught my eye first. It had everything: Boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy kills girl, boy blows his brains out.

And, as it turns out, that is the story of 90% of murder-suicides. Typically a "white guy" crime, the killer is in his mid-40s and has had an on-going relationship with the victim, who is female and, on average, six years younger.

Statistically, there are 1000-1500 incidents of this crime per year. This means you can expect two to five murder-suicides per day, which is absolutely perfect for a specialty news aggregation blog.

I was absolutely certain someone had already done it, so I checked BlogSpot to see if the name was free. And, surprisingly, it was.

I've been doing it for less than a week now and I've gotten 21 hits from my Google News Alerts. The blog isn't a happy place, but it's not a happy subject. It just happens, and it happens with astounding regularity.

Click here to check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment