Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My Cat Just Shut Down EXP IV


Jesus.

The UPS is at floor level and evidently she just stepped on the power switch.

Seriously.

To make matters worse it appears to be hung. It's starting up read-only.

This is NOT the first time this has happened, but it is a first for the cat, that's for sure!

Bear with me while I bring it back to life.

UPDATE!

WHAT AN INCREDIBLE PAIN IN THE ASS!!!

Since Miss Kitty kicked the plug, /etc/mtab was not deleted so the system thought all the drives were mounted. The "remount" option would not take and a shutdown with "-F" would not check the partitions on reboot. I had to force a check on the root system while it was mounted, which is normally a HUGE no-no. But it's a JFS partition so evidently that doesn't matter (try it with ext3 and see what happens).

So I finally mounted it read/write, deleted /etc/mtab, and brought the system back up.

Now I have to figure out where to put the UPS so the cat won't step on it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment