Saturday, September 05, 2009

Experimenting with EXP IV


Last week I bought another old PC from the junk computer store, just like the one on the left there (except mine has a CD drive).

What a piece of CRAP, eh?

I always liked those old iPaqs. Back around the turn of the century, they were pretty futuristic. I have a fond place in my heart for them, and since the price was a mere $39.95, I figured what the heck, take it home and have some fun.

It came with Windows 2000 Professional, so I wiped the drive and installed Xubuntu 9.04 on it. Runs Xubu like a top. 1gHz PIII & 512MB of RAM with a 20G hard drive. It's not going to blow anybody's doors off, but it's a nice little "Mail & Web" PC.

But I have one of those already so I decided to play around with it.

I moved a copy of EXP IV over to it, called it "EXP V", made sure it wasn't advertising itself on the Web, and fired it up just for funsies.

And the little bitch pissed me off! It played UT much better than my Hot Shit AMD64x2 with four times the RAM and processing power.

So now I'm mad and I need to know WTF is the deal with the AMD box. I'm not sure where to start but I think a good place to begin is the NIC, although I've been down that road before.

But it BUGS THE HELL out of me. Something has to be done.

No comments:

Post a Comment