Sunday, September 26, 2010

EXPERIMENTAL *5* Online!



Ain't she a beauty, boys and girls?

Yep, a genuine off-lease, refurbed IBM ThinkCentre corporate type PC!  Vintage 2006!

It's not so bad as it looks.  It has the good old P4 3.4gHz CPU and a gig of RAM.  Hey, 32 bits is all you really need!  Not much to speak of in disk space (40G), but it's really not needed for a lowly UT99 server.  And, as usual, it was cheap!  What else do you expect from the Dinkster?

She's runnin' Debian 5.0 (Lenny) and I just hacked together a custom kernel out of the latest release code (2.6.35.5) from kernel.org.  Plus I threw in the latest greatest revs of iptables & ipset.  Slicker 'n snot on a doorknob, kiddies!

And I did it just for YOU!

Welllllll... maybe.  It's part of my Take Back The Dual Core AMD64 Project.  We never did need all that power for a UT server and I'd like to get some mileage out of it before it goes obsolete, although it pretty much is already.  There's a few more things to do before I take it down, like migrate the UPS and reroute one of my covert tunnels but those are projects for another weekend.

So, EXP 5 (the box) now runs BITCH House, Classic ]i[, and Experimental 5, which is identical to Experimental 4 if you haven't noticed already.  It will also be the backup for BOT House, if need be.  If push comes to shove and BH (GAWD FORBID!) dies, this thing can take over the whole operation.

Besides being a rockin' UT99 server this box is actually a very decent Linux desktop!  Especially with Google Chrome and Firefix on it (you can keep IceWeasel, Debian).  On the first rev (actually the second after my disappointing experience with Xubuntu 10.4) I tried the LXDE version of Lenny but it was just too limited.  So I wiped it in favor of XFCE.  I usually go for Gnome, but I've seen Gnome on Lenny and it's just plain boring.

And of course, I despise KDE.  Always have, always will.  It's simply a matter of aesthetics.  I don't care if it's faster and I don't want to get into a flame war about it.  It's just fugly.

So anyways... come by and play a few rounds.  When was the last time you played Classic ]i[?  There are some fun levels in that package!

No comments:

Post a Comment