Since August I've been running two hosting accounts at GoDaddy, www.mrhinkydink.com and proxyobsession.net. Proxy Obsession is WordPress, which I really like. Mr. Hinky Dink is (ugh) some kind of FrontPage compatible Windows box, which was a mistake from Day One.
It seems I clicked the "back" button when I was signing up and the account defaulted back to Windows (I wanted Linux). But since back then (2006) all it was doing was holding UT mod files I didn't bother with moving it to Linux like I wanted in the first place.
Anyway, I want to change all that and move everything to the Linux box and consolidate the two accounts/domains.
With that in mind today I moved the Classic ]I[ files to the Linux box. Soon I hope to have everything moved, but it's a lot of files and transferring them really sucks up the UT bandwidth. Downloading them isn't bad, but uploading is a KILLER.
And it turns out you can't simply transfer files between boxes at GoDaddy. You have to download/upload to move things around. Luckily the Proxy Obsession box has SSH/SFTP, so I can trim the speed down to a rate (~64kBps) that still lets people play UT without (much) lag. Naturally, it takes longer but I have the time to waste.
The upgrades appear to have gone without incident. It's now been over 24 hours and everything is hunk-dory so far.
Let's hope it stays that way.
UPDATE 13:40 EST
The Classic ]I[ test worked well, so I'm moving everything else over to Proxy Obsession. But what an incredible pain in the ass this has been!
The fact that it's slow doesn't bother me (it's been an hour and a half so far and I'm only halfway done), but GoDaddy keeps dropping the SSH connection on me. At least WinSCP is smart enough to pick up where it left off, but Jesus Fuck this is annoying. I hope it's not a sign of things to come. If it's OK with the small transfers (the Proxy List, the Map, etc.) I'll be a happy camper.
If this goes well, I may put up a server I use locally. It's called "Too Many Mods" and - you guessed it - it has a lot of mods. It's also a Windows server, which could get ugly, but I've been wanting to experiment with it. All the scripts & shit still work, since they get all their data from the Web interface anyway. It runs on the box that runs the Linux VM that generates the Proxy List. A few more CPU cycles shouldn't be an issue.
FWIW, since I wrote this I ran across a "green ghost" in EXP IV. It might have something to do with the upgrade, but it went away after the game was over. I think I remember those green artifacts from when the new EXP IV box went online earlier this year, but I'm not sure.
Post a Comment